Home Page Researchers Yossi Paltiel
School of Engineering and Computer Science
Faculty of Science
The Hebrew University, Jerusalem 91904, Israel
Tel: +972-2-6584406; Fax: +972-2-6586468
Hybrid Organic Inorganic Quantum Nano- Devices
Quantum nano-structures are likely to become primary components of future electronic devices. Practical realization of quantum
devices faces a number of challenges. However, the benefits from the successful implementation of these devices can be enormous.
Nature in several cases uses quantum mechanics in order to achieve extraordinary properties. One known examples is the high photon
conversion efficiency in photosynthetic light harvesting complexes. In this example the most striking feature is the use of coherence
properties and quantum mechanics in the short scale while the measurements and results are classical in the large scale. In my lab I
aim to mimic nature and create nano tool box bottom up approach which enables high temperature quantum operation coupled to top down
classical semiconductor measurement device.
This methodology is producing a generic technology for constructing nano-systems in which many devices are interconnected and operate in unison, without inhibiting their quantum nature. In our work we combine devices and materials with self-assembled layers of organic molecules and nano particles to achieve novel quantum properties at elevated temperatures.
Schematic drawing of room temperature spin based magnetic less memory device
Specific research topics related to Nanoscience and Nanotechnology:
- Semiconductors device nano physics
- Hybrid superconductors nano systems
- Device nano physics
- Chiral spin filters
- MOVPE and MBE growth, optoelectronics
- Single photon detector
- Plasmon subwavelength physics and devices
- Polymer coupling of Quantum dots
- Quantum wells and Nanodots detectors and lasers
- Relations between the nano quantum physics to the macroscopic electro-optical properties
- Hybrid devices organic molecules with Nanodots and nanocrystals for optical memory,
- Quantum mechanics for classical logic.
List of publications in nANOSCIENCE AND nANOTECHNOLOGY (2009-2011)
- N. Livneh, A. Strauss, I. Schwarz, I. Rosenberg, A. Zimran, S. Yochelis .G. Chen, U. Banin, Y. Paltiel, and R. Rapaport; Highly directional emission and photon beaming from nanocrystal quantum dots embedded in metallic nanoslit arrays Nano Lett. 11, 1630 (2011).
- 54. E. Cohen, S. Yochelis, S. Shusterman, D. P Kumah, R. Clarke, Y. Yacoby, and Y. Paltiel ; Direct X-ray measurements of droplet heteroepitaxy InAs quantum dots grown on GaAs substrate Appl. Phys. Lett. 98, 243115 (2011).
- 55. E. Katzir, S. Yochelis, and Y. Paltiel; Using the peak effect to pick the good organic couplers Appl. Phys. Lett 98 223306 ( 2011 ).
- 56. S. Yochelis, E. Katzir, Y. Kalcheim, V. Gutkin, O. Millo and Y. Paltiel; Formation of Au-Silane bonds- Journal of Nanotechnology 2012 903761 (2012).
- 57. I. Schwarz, M. G. Harats, N. , S. Yochelis, A. , A. Zimran, U. Banin, Y. Paltiel and R. and R. Rapaport; Theory and experiments of Bragg cavity modes in passive and active metallic nanoslit array devices JOSA B-Optical Physics A127 (2012).
- 58 E. Katzir, S. Yochelis, F. Zeides, N. Katz,2 Y. Kalcheim, O. Millo, G. Leitus, Y. Myasodeyov, B. Ya. Shapiro, R. Naaman, and Y. Paltiel Increased superconducting transition temperature of a niobium thin-film proximity-coupled to gold nanoparticles using linking organic molecules Physical Review Letters 108, 107004 (2012).
- 59 A. Neubauer, S. Yochelis, I. Popov, A. Ben Hur,2 K. Gradkowski, U. Banin, and Y. Paltiel; Local Cathode Luminescence Resonant Peak in Hybrid Organic-Nanocrystal Systems The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 116, 15641 (2012)
Significant publications in the last five years:
- D. P. Kumah, S. Shusterman, Y. Paltiel, Y. Yacoby, R. Clark. Atomic-scale mapping of quantum dots formed by droplet epitaxy, Nature Nanotechnology 4 835 (2009).
- Y. Paltiel, G. Jung, T. Aqua, D. Mocatta, U. Banin,and R. Naaman Collective Effects in Charge Transfer within a Hybrid Organic-Inorganic System Physical Review Letters 104, 016804 (2010).
- E. Katzir, S. Yochelis, F. Zeides, N. Katz,2 Y. Kalcheim, O. Millo, G. Leitus, Y. Myasodeyov, B. Ya. Shapiro, R. Naaman, and Y. Paltiel Increased superconducting transition temperature of a niobium thin-film proximity-coupled to gold nanoparticles using linking organic molecules Physical Review Letters 108, 107004 (2012).
Patents and industry (2011-2012)
- Yossi Paltiel and Oded Shoseyov US Application No. 61/607,185 "Green House - Use bio materials made from cellulose as a building material for biodegradable light spectrum tunable plastic sheets for walk-in tunnels and greenhouse"
- Yossi Paltiel, Shira Yochelis, Sue Azoubel, Shlomo Magdassi - US Application No. 61/683,273 ? ?Tunable and fixable hybrid nano crystals/carbon nano tubes printed sensor"
- E. Katzir, S. Yochelis, and Y. Paltiel - US Application No.: 61/617,184 ? ?Enhancing the critical temperature of superconductors using hybrid layers for planner superconducting circuits?.
- Yossi Paltiel, Shira Yochelis, Ido Eisenberg and Nir Keren- US Application No. 14-2011-2640 - ?Improving Si-Solar cells efficiency using biomemetic antenna complexes?.
- Yossi Paltiel and Ron Naaman US Application No. 2012-012- ?Magnetless spin memory?
Cooperation with industries and defense projects (2011-2012):
- MAFAT: High-temperature infrared hybrid nanocrystals-organic-semiconductor light sensor
- DARPA: Hybrid nanocrystals-organic-semiconductor device for high- temperature infrared single photon and single molecule detection
- Magneton: Civan Advanced Technologies Ltd - Tapered semiconductor optical amplifiers
Nano related grants:
- 2011-2013 hybrid nanocrystal-organic-semiconductor device for high- temperature infrared single photon and single molecule detection DARPA
- 2009-2011 Coupling control measurements in quantum devices Brojde Scholarship
- 2011-2012 Magneton ?Tapered coherent amplifiers Ministry of Industry
- 2011-2012 Improving Si-Solar cells efficiency using biomemetic antenna complexes Baby seed
- 2011-2014 Coherent Bragg Rod Analysis Studies of Self assembled III-V dots and thin layers on Si based solar cells Israel Science Foundation
- 2012-2015 Hybrid Nanomaterials and Formulations for Functional Coatings and Printed Devices Nano FTA (Focal Technology Area)
- 2010-2012 A High Efficiency Room Temperature Single-Photon On-Demand Source, Using a Surface Wave Based Collimator Bikura FIRST -inovation, and unconventional approach grant of the Israel Science Foundation
Cooperation with other researchers/universities in Israel:
Within Hebrew University:
- Prof Uri Banin, Institute of Chemistry - Combined nanocrystal-organic-semiconductor systems and devices.
- Dr. Roy Shenhar, Institute of Chemistry - Noise properties of assembled nanocrystals with block-copolymers.
- Prof Oded Shoseyov and Prof. Danny Porath, Institute of Chemistry and faculty of agriculture - Bio-inspired Organic/Inorganic Hybrid Nano Electronic devices.
- Prof Ronen Rapaport and Prof. Hagai Eienberg, Institute of Physics-High; Efficiency Room Temperature Single-Photon Source, Using a Surface Wave Collimator and nano dots.
- Prof Oded Millo and Dr Nadav Katz, Institute of Physics - Increased superconducting transition temperature of a niobium thin-film proximity-coupled to gold nanoparticles using linking organic molecules
- Prof Yizhak Yacoby, Institute of Physics - Coherent Bragg Rod Analysis Studies of Self assembled III-V nano dots.
- Dr Nir Keren - Institute of Biology Improving Si-Solar cells efficiency using biomemetic antenna complexes
With other universities:
- Professor Ron Naaman, Faculty of Chemistry, Weizmann Institute (with Prof. Uri Banin); Combined nanocrystal-organic-semiconductor systems and devices.
- Professor Grzegorz Jung - Faculty of Physics Ben Gurion University- Noise properties of nano systems
- Professor Yossi Rosenwaks - Department Of electrical Engineering Tel Aviv University - Nanoscale mappingof Quantum Dots Using Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy.
- Dr. Avi Zadok Faculty of engineering Bar Ilan University
International presentations (2011-2012):
- Invited Speaker -Nano2012 Rodos August (2012).
- Invited speaker -Telluride meeting on Electronic and Magnetic Properties of Chiral Structures and their Assemblies USA June (2012)
- Invited lecture SURFINT-SREN III. The Florence Italy May (2012).
- Invited Keynote speaker in Materials Engineering Conference (IMEC-15) Dead Sea Israel March, (2012).
- Invited talk Nano-Israel March (2012).
- Invited talk-Nano 2010 Rhodes Greece August (2012).
- Invitation to FARQUEST kick-off workshop, the European Foresight Activity on Research and Technology in Quantum Information Science and European Strategy, December (2011).
- Oral presentation QuEBS?11 Ulm August (2011).
- Invited Talk at Teaming Workshop Northwestern University USA, March (2011).
Distinctions and awards:
- Brojde fellow 2011-2012 Brojde fellow Scholarship.
List of students, postdocs and researchers:
Staff scientist: Dr. Shira Yochelis
Ph.D. students: Eran Katzir, Eyal Cohen, Avner Neubauer, Guy Koplovitz, Ohad Westrlich
M.Sc students: Oren Ben Dor, Odelya Koslovsky, Shoshan Cohen, Yaalat chen zohar , Yuval Shifriss, Ido Eisenberg, Zuzana Gavorova (ETH Zurich).
Copyright © The
Hebrew University of Jerusalem